As two of the most highly sought after steel grades on the market,many questions come up between the differences in 1018 and A36 steel.How different is A36 from 1018?Are they equivalent material grades?Let's take a look at the differences between them.
1018 can come in cold drawn or hot rolled forms,but it is frequently purchased as a cold drawn product.We'll assume 1018 is in its cold drawn state in this comparison.It typically comes in bar form in various sizes and shapes.1018 steel is a mild low carbon steel with good ductility,toughness and strength qualities.1018 steel can be easily welded using most welding processes.Capital Steel & Wire for example makes 1018 cold drawn bar in square,hexagon,round and flat bar shapes and can cut it in any specified length.
ASTM A36 steelis one of the most widely manufactured grades of steel,as it has many different applications across many industries.Like 1018,it can be hot rolled or cold drawn, but is typically hot rolled.So again,in this comparison,we'll assume A36 is hot rolled.It comes in many different bar shapes including squares,rounds, rectangles,and is also often manufactured into channels,angles,I-Beams and H-Beams.It is also commonly manufactured as a steel plate product.
Chemically, A36 and 1018 are very similar.
|Phosphorus, P (max)||0.04%||0.04%|
|Sulfur, S (max)||0.05%||0.05%|
Whether steel is hot rolled or cold drawn has a significant impact on the mechanical properties as noted in the table below.
|Tensile Strength||58,000 psi||63,000 psi|
|Yield Strength||36,300 psi||53,700 psi|
|Elongation (50 mm)||20%||15%|
1018 steel is used over A36 for applications that require machining,because it responds to machining fairly well.1018 is most commonly used in high volume screw machine parts including shafts,spindels,pins and rods.A36 is often used as a mass steel product for the industrial and construction industries for making buildings,bridges,railroads,oil rigs and more.A36 is easy to weld with any standard welding methods,and with lower yield strengths than 1018,it is easier to bend.
Because cold drawing steel is more labor intensive and time intensive,the price of hot rolled products is significantly less than cold drawn.For products that do not require higher quality finishes and high strength and machinability characteristics,A36 makes a lot more sense than 1018 simply for the reduced cost alone.
As you can see,the mechanical and chemical properties of 1018, the machinability and the surface finish of 1018 steel are all superior to A36.However,the big advantage of A36 is the overall cost.When deciding between the two steels,take into consideration the end application and the quantity that you will need.
If you need any info or price details on steel plate of Q235A,Q235B or equivalent steel standard ASTM A36 and SS400, don't hesitate to send a message now!
- best quality 304 stainless plate
- pre painted steel coils supplier from china
- spcdcold rolled automobile industry steel coil and sheet
- plate 17mn4
- china q460nh weather corten plate for sale
- titanium gold mirror aisi 304 stainless steel sheet
- hl surface finish aisi 410 stainless steel sheet
- 2304 stainless steel coil uns s32304 cold rolled
- made i china aisi 304 2b stainless steel plate prices
- plastic alloy steel plate skd61
- carbon steel metal stainless sheet machine
- manufacture astm grade b hot rolled steel plate
- bi metal wear resistant composite steel plate
- sa 516 pressure vessel steel plate u0026carbon steel plate
- hot rolled msteel plate 6x6000x1500 mm
- economic 16mo3 boiler steel plate
- prime cold rolled carbon steel coil s45c
- s31700 stainless steel coil 410 430 ba
- price of 1kg 304 stainless steel 2 5mm stainless sheet
- s355 j2 steel number steel plate
- fast delivery alloy astm a242 weather corten plate
- a387 gr11 steel plate application
- steel plate q345b ss400 hot rolled
- s355j0wp anti weathering corrosion steel sheet for sale
- hot stock q235 grade hot rolled steel sheet